Monday 24 January 2011

How times have changed!

When I first started getting back into fishing I was using it almost as therapy the time on the bank was time away from money, work & woman worries. I could go to a local lake and completely let my mind go blank and just enjoy a few hours away from everyone and everything and if I caught a few fish then even better!
But then my competitive streak comes out and I don't just want to sit on the bank carefree I want to catch more fish and bigger fish! I started reading fishing forums to find out about new techniques, baits and venues. And before you know it I'm thinking about personal bests and entering matches! Instead of relaxing and being blank while fishing now I'm thinking about what bait to try next, should I try fishing shallower, maybe I should try the method feeder, its a full moon and the temperture is just right, should I fish into the wind etc etc etc etc the list could be endless!!!
When I first started back fishing I had my 6m whip, a disgorger, a couple pole rigs, slice of bread and some maggots. It all fit easily in the boot of my car along with a fold out chair, I could be fishing within 5mins of being at a venue. Now I have match rod, feeder rod, 9m pole and 2 whips in my rod bag. I have a big old heavy box that has 3 reels, over 25 pole rigs, feeder pellets, big drilled pellets, hooker pellets, paste, groundbait etc and weighs a ton. The last time I fished it took me about 30mins to get set up!!
How times have changed, but for the good I think. I was told on one of the fishing forums:
"Laziness doesnt catch fish, preparation and effort do" I think it adds to the day to do some research before hand, what pegs have fished well, what baits work I think in fishing you are always learning and trust me I have a lot to learn. But hopefully 2011 will be a big year for me I'm going to set some targets in my next blog, nothing to stretching but something to aim for. My main aim is to keep fishing as a pleasure but like any sport you don't want to turn up and get beat so its me verses the fish! Bring it on!!!

Thanks for reading,
The Maggot Dangler

No comments:

Post a Comment