Saturday 22 January 2011

First full session of 2011

Tuesday 18th January was my first chance this year to get out and have a full days fishing. So after a little lie in I set off to the tackle shop in Bamber Bridge at 9.30am for some pinkies and advice on where to go. I was considering Fairhaven in Leyland but had been told it didnt fish well in winter. Cunneries near Eccleston but I was told one lake was shut and not heard anything about it recently and finally German Lane which like Cunneries would be a new venue for me and was told its fishing ok for silvers. So decisions decisions but after a chat with the very friendly owner of the bait shop in Brig I decided on Byers Farm in Gregson Lane!! He said a few people had been and done ok and I had a score to settle after the last time I fished it a nice sized carp snapped the top section of my pole!

Arrived about 10.30am and the sun was peeking out from behind the clouds and the mist was lifting of the lake, as you can see from the picture it was looking good!!


As I said in my earlier post I have recently purchased a new feeder rod and reel and was excited to try them out. So I set the rod up with 6lb main line and elasticated method feeder and a pre-tied 5lb hair rig hook length of about 6 inch size 14. I decided to flick the feeder into the corner of the lake (so not really a great trial for casting distances etc!) the wind was blowing into the corner and I though any loose feed put in over the weekend may have ended up in this corner plus there is a few overhanging trees to keep the fish interested!




I pulled out all the baits I had just incase (!) but my main attack was to be soaked feeder pellets on the method feeder and corn on the hook as corn worked well the last time I fished here though I was on the bottom lake, this was my first time on the top lake. I also had pinkies to feed and put on the hook, some large marine pellets, some catfood hooker pellets which I think have passed there sell by date as they never seem to stay on the hook nor did they stay on the hair rig!!

I was fishing by 11am and it was very quiet! I had a knock on the rod when I had pinkies on while I was soaking the pellets but not a full on bite. I have only recently started using the hair rig set-up and at the moment I don't trust it!! I'm just not confident I will catch using it, I'm sure as soon as I catch my first fish using the hair rig hooks I'll be fine but at the moment I just don't trust it! So at 12.30pm with no bites I cut the hair of my hook on just put the corn on the hook. I was despearate to set my pole up and try that, but had told myself I was there to use my feeder rod and nothing else! At 12.40pm my feeder rod was cast to the middle of the lake and my pole rig was lowered into the corner of the lake!! And instant success, I lost the first fish as I was bringing it in but caught instantly on putting the pinkie back in and at 12.45pm I had my first fish of the day.



A small but perfectly formed little roach. I could now relax, I hadn't blanked!

It was while I was unhooking this fish and taking its picture that the tip of my feeder rod started to slowly go round!!! (Like buses hey!)

So roach returned and I pick my rod up and strike, fish on! And its a decent one. I start to reel but there's a problem it's stuck? I look down and a massive knot has developed around the arm of the reel, I can't reel in!!!! OH MY GOD, panic, deep breath, pull the rod back again to check the fish is still there, it is. Ok think, can I pull the line in somehow urrm no (idiot!) pull the rod back again its still there, luckily its not doing a lot but is definately there. I tried undoing the knot but there was no chance, I had to cut the line above and below the knot and tie the two ends together!! That done I start to reel in eventually but its not moving, oh know its snagged me up I think? It was hard to tell where the line was but it could have been wrapped around one of the platform legs I thought, gutted so I start pulling on the rod thinking I was snagged expecting to snap my hook length and start again. But then all of a sudden it gets loose and the fish is still on!! It didn't give a big fight just seemed to sit there but about 20 minutes after the bite I finally land my first fish on my new feeder rod and reel.

A beautiful ghost carp of about 5lb. Mavellous! My biggest ever fish!

The warmth and sun from earlier in the day had gone and the clouds and wind had arrived, it was bloody freezing! The feeder rod was very quiet but I was getting roach of a similar size to the one above quite regularly on the pole I tried corn, paste and meat on the pole rig but only pinkies were getting bites. I also tried pinkies on the feeder rod and landed this small skimmer.

I decided to pack up at 3.45pm as I was bloody freezing and had jobs to do around the house before my better half got home from work!! I was happy with my haul of 15 small roach on the pole, with one skimmer and a good carp on the rod but then as I was putting the pole into my holdall the feeder rod started to bend again! I quickly jump over the piles baits and equipment I was packing up and pick the rod up, strike to my left and fish on! A good one as well about at least the same weight as the one I had caught previously. I tried reeling in but it wasn't moving again it n'tfighting just sort of refusing to move, I slackened the drag on my reel to let it go on a run if it wanted and pulled back again but it wasn't moving! I pulled back again and snap!! Absolutely gutted my hooklength had snapped. I think I was being too keen with it. I need to learn to not get so excited and let the fish come in when its ready especially on the lighter gear that I use. I also missed a bite earlier when I struck too early so I need to learn from the fish I landed not to strike to early and give the fish time but without having a heart attack because I've got a massive knot just out of choice!!

But a great day all in all fish caught and really enjoyed using my new equipment. I can't wait to get out again!!

Tight lines,

The Maggot Dangler.

No comments:

Post a Comment