Sunday 6 February 2011

What a 'orrible day!!

Managed to get out for a few hours this morning. Kind of wish I didn't! I went to the Leeds & Liverpool canal at Cowling Brow, Chorley. I'm thinking of entering a match on here next Sunday so thought I'd get some practice in.
I arrived around 10am and it was windy VERY windy! I set up my feeder rod with a open end cage feeder with black breadcrumb and casters in. On the size 16 hook I was to alternate between worm and caster. I decided to fish to the far bank as there was a few features that I thought my hold some fish. As you can see from the picture below.

It was very quite and at 11am I set my pole up. I decided to fish straight out in front of me at about 8 metres. I was fishing on the bottom with punched white bread on the hook and white liquidised bread to feed. The wind made fishing very hard the tow on the water was silly at times and I was fighting against the wind just to hold my pole straight at times! As you can see it was almost tidal!!


As I was shipping out the line went heavy, I thought it was more drift wood as there was plenty! But no it was a nice sized skimmer and it came to the net around 11.45am.



I decided to fish closer in and shallow up to try and catch more skimmers but to no avail. I was struggling to keep the punch on the hook, I think maybe the hook was too big far the size of punch? Either way with the strong wind, no action on the feeder line and my punch not staying on the hook I was getting very fed up. So at 1.30pm I packed up wet, cold and fed up but at least I didn't blank! So as a trial for next Sunday's match it wasn't the best but you never know the skimmer was a nice size and with this cold weather and low weights coming out I might get lucky!!

I hope you managed to get out this weekend and did better than me!!

Tight lines,

The Maggot Dangler.

No comments:

Post a Comment